top of page


To register now, please fill in the following form:

PLEASE ONLY SUBMIT IT ONCE. If you are unsure about the status of your registration, please contact us.

If for any reason the link does not work, please contact us.

You can be registered at King's College London NHS Health Centre if:

  • You are a current student of the University

  • You are employed by the University

  • You are the partner of a student or staff member at the University living at the same address.

There is no regulatory requirement to provide proof of ID, address details, immigration status or an NHS number in order to register. We do require evidence of your student/staff member status which is normally your KCL ID number. Once you have completed the registration form you can book appointments with the doctor or nurse straight away.

Please see our catchment area to determine whether you will need to register as an Out Of Area registration



If you live outside our catchment area (please see map below) the Health Centre will register you without the option of home visits, if it is clinically appropriate and practical in your individual case.

To do this we may:

  • Ask you or the practice you are currently registered with questions about your health to help decide whether to register you in this way

  • Ask you questions about why it is practical for you to attend this practice (for example, how many days during the week you would normally be able to attend)

If accepted, you can attend the practice and receive the full range of services provided at the surgery. If you have an urgent care need and you cannot make it to the Health Centre we may ask you to call NHS 111 and they will put you in touch with a local service (this may be a face to face appointment with a local healthcare professional or a home visit where necessary). This arrangement only applies to GP practices and patients who live in England.

For further information visit the NHS Choices website:



Our catchment area includes the whole of London. If you are not in our catchment area please visit the Out of Area Registration page



Your health is important.

There are a few things you will need to sort out before you start your journey at King’s College London. 

This includes registering with a local GP (General Practitioner).

GP Doctors are trained and experienced in diagnosing a wide range of health problems. 


You may also want to get familiar with the NHS website, where you will find useful information and advice on how to get help and medical care as a student and find other services you may need. 

How do I register with a GP?

It is essential that you register with a local GP as soon as you get to University so that you can access NHS services. If you live within the catchment area, you can Register with King’s College London NHS Health Centre, which is a NHS General Practice for staff and students of King’s College London only. The Health Centre has an International Students Leaflet, which explains a bit more about how the NHS works.

Do I need any vaccinations before I get to University?

Click here for a guide to help you understand the vaccines offered in the UK.


Can I access more of my prescribed medication in the UK?

We can prescribe some of the more common medications such as asthma inhalers, insulin, acne treatment, antidepressants and contraceptive tablets. You must make an appointment with your GP to discuss this once you register.

To make things as easy as possible, remember to bring your existing medication or prescription with you to the appointment and if possible any specialist letters or results of recent tests. Please bear in mind that you may be given slightly different medication from the one originally prescribed, as local protocols vary and some medications from abroad are not available in the UK. In some cases, you will need to be referred to a local specialist before your medication is prescribed. Sometimes, it may actually be easier to get supplies of your medication posted from home. This is particularly true of some American medications for ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder), which are not the same in Britain.


How do I find a dental surgery?

Dentists work independently from GPs. Check NHS Choices for a dentist near to where you live.

How do I find an optician?

Opticians are also independent from GPs. Check NHS Choices for an optician near to where you live.

Is everything on the NHS free?

Accident and Emergency Departments are for serious, life-threatening injuries and illnesses only. There is no charge for true emergencies, although if you are admitted to the hospital or referred to an outpatient clinic, this will then incur a charge unless you are an NHS patient. The nearest A&E department to the Strand Campus is St Thomas’ Hospital. There is also plenty of information available online for dealing with minor ailments. Seeing a nurse, doctor or other healthcare professional (e.g. physiotherapist, dietician) is normally free. Procedures and operations on the NHS are also free. This does not include some surgery such as most cosmetic operations. Also what you are charged for will depend on your eligibility for 'secondary' NHS care as above. There is a flat charge of £9.35 per prescribed medication on the NHS, although contraception is free. Some medicines such as Malaria tablets are not prescribed on the NHS and you will need to pay the cost price of the medicine plus a charge for a private prescription. Some vaccinations such as MMR and meningitis C are free. Others such as travel vaccines (see our Travel clinic section on our Services pages) incur a charge. Some students qualify for free prescriptions for medical reasons or if on low income. You will need to complete and send off an “HC1 form” before you can receive this help. People with some medical conditions e.g. diabetes, hypothyroidism and also pregnant women are also entitled to free prescriptions. Your doctor will complete a medical exemption form and send it off if this is the case.

Where else can I get medical help?

Pharmacists can often advise on minor ailments such as coughs and colds, mild acne, cuts and bruises, warts and verrucas, hayfever, BV and thrush, fungal nail infections, period pain etc. You can access a wider range of medication from a Pharmacist than you can at a supermarket. Opticians not only provide spectacles but can also check the general health of the eye, including the eye pressure and also the health of the retina. Dentists can provide advice and treatment for all aspects of mouth and dental care. They are separate from GP surgeries. To register with an NHS Dentist you will need to quote your NHS number. You will receive this in the post 2-3 months after you first register with a GP in the UK.


Here are some useful websites 

Self Care Forum - helping people take care of themselves

Immigration Health Surcharge

Useful Websites

Home Office - UK Border Agency
UK Council for International Student Affairs
Help with Health Costs - provides exemption certificates to those entitled and sends Prescription Pre-Payment Certificates (PPCs). Follow the link for more information on PPCs, Low Income Scheme, Medical Exemption, Pregnant Women and those who have had a baby in the last 12 months, Tax Credits and applying for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Information for visitors to England - Accessing health services while in England.


What does the 
have to offer?



The NHS App is available now on iOS and Android.

To use it you must be aged 13 and over and registered with a GP surgery in England.

You can also access NHS App services from the browser on your desktop or laptop computer.
NHS app
bottom of page